Back to Basics

I realized the other day that the name of my blog is Brookie's Cookies & More, but I have only posted one cookie recipe.  Yes, I have decorated sugar cookies in many ways, but it's still just one type of cookie.  Yesterday we had some friends over for a BBQ, so I figured it would be the perfect excuse to make some different types of cookies and blog about them, of course.

My husband, Ryan, doesn't like all the "fancy" cookies I make.  He prefers your tried-and-true cookies like chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin.  So, that's what I made.  However, I did add a little twist to the chocolate chip cookies by using M&Ms instead of chocolate chips.  Big twist, huh?  I like to live on the edge.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
I use my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook for this recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
  • 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
  2. Mix sugars, butter and egg in large bowl.  Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff).  Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
  3. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft).  Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet.  Cool on wire rack.

This time, I excluded the nuts and, as mentioned above, added in 2 cups of M&Ms.  I've always thought about using one cup of chocolate chips and one cup of white chocolate chips.  You could use peanut butter chips too.  I suppose the possibilities are endless!

This next cookie is my absolute favorite!  My friend from high school, Julia (you can find her here), makes these AMAZING oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  The first time I had them, I asked her where she bought them because I wanted to go buy some.  When she told me she made them herself, I knew I had to get the recipe!

I call these...


Julia's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (or Raisin) Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups paked dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp real vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbls molasses
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached)
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 3 cups rolled oats (not the quick kind)
  • 12 oz package of semi-sweet chocolate chips OR
  • 12 oz baking raisins
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, molasses, and vanilla until smooth. combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves in a separate dish. Stir combination into the sugar mixture.  Stir in the oats and chocolate chips or raisins.  Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden.  Do not overbake.  (Try to pull them out right with they start to brown around the edges.)  Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
Julia's Notes:
I learned from my mother that the only way to bake is to use real butter (I do use salted) and vanilla, 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour, brown sugar, etc...that makes all the difference!  And underbaking them slightly should make them nice and chewy.  :)


I could eat these cookies all day.  I used raisins this time, but semi-sweet chocolate chips are just as amazing.  If you decide to use raisins, make sure you buy baking raisins.  They are a lot juicer than regular raisins and make for a great cookie!

4 comments:

Lady Butcher said...

Aw, I'm so excited to see that you're using the recipe!!! Now Doug prefers them with raisins, so I've been doing it like that as well. I'll have to try using the baking kind though-- good tip :)

Brooke said...

Oh, yay! I'm glad you saw this post, Julia. :) I get so many compliments every time I make these cookies. Thanks again for the recipe!!!

Melissa {Persnickety Plates} said...

I just clicked on the pics to blow them up & stared at them for far too long ;) They look delicious.

Brooke said...

Mrs. Williams - Thank you! They tasted pretty good if I do say so myself. :)

Post a Comment