What's Joey's favorite food?

SANDWICHES!
(That was for all my Friends-loving readers out there.)

This post is about the tea sandwiches we had at Jessica's personal shower/tea party.  We had two different kinds, Cucumber Mint and Basil Hummus.


Cucumber Mint Tea Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of Epicurious.com



Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, rinsed, spun dry, and chopped fine (I couldn't find fresh, so I used dried mint.  It worked just fine.)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons cream cheese
  • 6 slices of whole-wheat bread
  • 3-inch length of seedless cucumber, cut into thin slices (Mine had seeds)
Directions:
In a small bowl combine the mint, the butter, and the cream cheese and stir the mixture until it is combined well.  Spread the bread slices with the butter mixture, top 3 of them with the cucumber, distributing the cucumber evenly and seasoning it with salt, and top the cucumber with the remaining bread slices.  Cut off and discard the crusts and cut each sandwich diagonally into quarters.
 
 
These were actually pretty good.  And that's coming from someone who doesn't really like cream cheese!  As I stated in the ingredients section, I couldn't find fresh mint at my grocery store, so I used dried.  They turned out fine.  I'm sure that fresh mint would have been better, but oh well.  I had to make do.  I also used cucumbers with seeds.  I just broke all the rules with this sandwich.  :)  My tip for this sandwich is to use the slicing blade for your food processer if you have one.  My cucumber was perfectly sliced in about two seconds, and I didn't have to worry about cutting any fingers off.  It was great!  Oh, and the top row of sandwiches on the platter were decorated with slices of the cucumber skin I removed while peeling them.  I just stuck a toothpick through them like a ribbon and poked them into place.  I think they look super cute.



Basil Hummus Tea Sandwiches


Ingredients:
  • Hummus
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed, spun dry, and chopped fine
  • 6 slices of whole-wheat bread
Directions:
Spread the bread slices with hummus and sprinkle three of the slices with the basil.  Top those with the remaining slices of bread.  Cut off and discard the crusts and cut each sandwich diagonally into quarters.


I did not try one of these.  I have never had hummus and don't plan on trying it.  Yes, that's probably weird, but I don't care.  Hummus is just not something I feel the need to experience.  :)  The guest of honor seemed to enjoy them though, and that's all the counts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment