On the 5th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

♪ ♫ ...fiiiiiiiiive pounds of chili ♫ ♪
♪ ♫ four clear glass bulbs ♫ ♪
♪ ♫ three quick breads ♫ ♪
♪ ♫ two craft projects ♫ ♪


Okay, maybe not five pounds, but pretty close to it.  :)

We had our first considerable snowfall in southeast Michigan last weekend.  It was sooo cold, and all I could think about was warm, comfort food.


Chili
Recipe courtesy of my mom's co-worker


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground chuck
  • 1 lb ground sirloin
  • 1 pkt mild chili seasoning (I use McCormick)
  • 1 pkt hot chili seasoning
  • 1 can hot chili beans
  • 1 can red kidney beans
  • 1 can mild chili beans (optional)
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes with onions
  • 1 small onion, diced (if you use stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes without onion)
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
Directions:
  1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet and drain the fat.  Transfer to a slow cooker.
  2. Add chili seasoning packets, beans, tomatoes, onion (if using), and sugar.
  3. Mix everything well and heat on medium for 3-4 hours.
I used a can of Chili Ready w/ Onions - Red Gold Diced Tomatoes.  I hate cutting up onions and this eliminates that step for me.  :) 

I also only use two cans of beans.  I don't like beans, so the less there are the better.  They're so gross.  What's up with the texture?  If you don't believe me, this is what my bowl looks like when I'm done eating:


I can be such a child sometimes.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment